Whirlpool Dryer Gas Valve Coil Kit 279834, Village Ford Service, Spider Man Miles Morales Competitive Spirit Trophy, Lope De Vega Madrid, Aprilia Sr 150 Mileage, Max Bupa Customer Care, What Are The Similarities Of Anthropology And Political Science, Broccoli Leaves And Chicken, Utica College Online, What Caused World War 2, 5 Lines On Zebra For Class 1, Distance From Oslo To Stavanger, " /> Whirlpool Dryer Gas Valve Coil Kit 279834, Village Ford Service, Spider Man Miles Morales Competitive Spirit Trophy, Lope De Vega Madrid, Aprilia Sr 150 Mileage, Max Bupa Customer Care, What Are The Similarities Of Anthropology And Political Science, Broccoli Leaves And Chicken, Utica College Online, What Caused World War 2, 5 Lines On Zebra For Class 1, Distance From Oslo To Stavanger, ">

plaster ceiling vs drywall

Some great points PCL! As to which one will last longer, until we’ve seen drywall that’s been around for 150+ years, my vote would go to a quality plaster install. THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF PLASTER. Maybe we’ll luck out and an actual appraiser will weigh-in here, but if not, I’d call an appraiser or two and just get their opinion on it if you’re actually considering using one material over another for the purposes of maximizing the house value or appraisal. Can we insulate basement and attic only? Also where are you located, there are plaster experts around the country, i may know one in your area. It would take two workers between a half-day and a day to install the drywall, one worker 3 days to do 3 coats of mud, and 1 day of sanding. Aside from these factors, a plaster wall can create a texture and feel I’ve had some say to remove the plaster, but I say it’s been here longer than I have and is still in good shape. Too bad veneer is not more well known, it is amazingly affordable if done right. Plaster vs Drywall, which is best? You will only need to finish your drywall at a level 3 finish. Now, this can be done with a drywall ceiling by adding access panels – simple metal or plastic doors that get integrated with the drywall – but if you anticipate the need for more serious access than drywall might not be your best bet. For this reason, I left your comment up, however I removed the expletive directed at another commenter. not sure of any of the technical terms you would used but that is what is looked like. If you’re really concerned about sound proofing, check out our review and use of, Plaster is a more unique skilled trade. to add to my thoughts. In grade school (give or take a few years), Marc's mom said, "We need to cut down some trees. But, drywall does provide a variety of options as far as insulation USG says it dried too quickly, it must have been hot and windy for it to dry too quickly, and the plasterer should know that. As such, sheetrock is a type of drywall. For a house in an seismically active area, or one near a truck rout or train tracks, drywall makes a lot more sense; and cheap, taped drywall is one of the least crack-prone of all the combinations of drywall and plaster. Plaster-lath walls is what we call it and when not abused can easily last for many centuries. Get a grip. Because drywall panels are thinner than plaster walls, drywall is not as effective of a sound barrier. Hey John! Earlier, we mentioned that drywall ceilings are made of drywall or sheetrock. In addition, once the installation starts, it must be finished without stopping. However, lath and plaster has its downsides. Plasterer in Bellingham WA? Best to get a pro for sure. Hi TJ. The plaster was applied over metal mesh. I don’t know that most appraisers will even pay attention to whether you have plaster vs. drywall. Installing a drywall ceiling requires more physical work vs. a drop ceiling. Plaster is considered a high-end wall … I am in San Diego also. It kept them trapped in a rather small, easily repairable space. Plaster has been around much longer than drywall, and, as a result, you can find buildings hundreds of years old that might still have their original plaster intact. The photo is copyrighted. . Because it is hand applied by skilled artisans, it is a higher quality, more expensive material. First off, my apologies. Plaster tends to create a much more echoey sound than drywall. Unfortunately I don’t personally know any plasterers in Ventura county. Before Plasterboard: Plaster and Lath Sure, drywall guys will tell you they can match any texture, but drywall is still very different from plaster. My plaster guy wants to use greenboard, which I know is wrong. But, drywall does provide a variety of options as far as insulation goes, making it a more energy efficient wall option. i have a 1900 original Foursquare that is mostly plaster, except for the “home” jobs that people did throughout the years. Plaster is considered a high-end wall finish. Not to step on Marc’ s toes, and his excellent article , but your process would work. It is possibly to have a fine dust on the surface, which is easily wiped off and then sealed or painted, as long as the plaster is hard and well bonded to veneer base. Drywall and plaster walls speak their strengths and weaknesses loud and clear to … It provides better insulation, fireproofing and soundproofing than drywall. I live in Florida. Drywall consists of gypsum sheets (sheetrock) screwed or nailed to the studs. The square-edged drywall features the traditional square edges, which works well with plaster. Once you make your decision, Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again! I am just about to drywall a new house. Have you heard of Vella Systems over drywall? Please comment on plastering a bathroom – the pros and cons and any tips that you have. Drywall sheets average about 60 lbs. The outside has redwood planks that have the tar paper and chicken wire and then the stucco. Any and all insights and recommendations are welcome! If you have experience with plaster and/or drywall and their pros and cons, we welcome your comments below. . Highly recommend lift the pipes and plaster the ceiling just like the rest of the house. Hi Jennifer. I bet if you emailed him to solve it in a professional manner ot would have been done just as expediently. When building a new house, real plaster walls are more expensive than drywall. Give them a call. I tore out plaster on recommendation from a contractor. For a historical building, I can easily understand the desire to preserve its original form. You can airless spray or hopper and backroll the lst coat. "Gypsum board" speaks to the mineral that makes the board possible, and plaster refers to the process that transforms gypsum into a usable building material. Calm down. Would have kept a significant portion of our 97 yr old craftsmen authentic. That said all three coat walls are not equal, and much of the pure gypsum walls done in the US from 1900 to the 1940’s are not much more solid feeling than drywall. A father figure also involved Marc in many home improvement projects, including a summer of home remodeling in Palo Alto, CA. Removed a 32 X 32 piece. But drywall has some advantages under other adverse circumstances, like the ability to dry out and re-harden when it gets wet from behind, rather than just turning to sand the way plaster often does. If your walls predate 1900 it is certainly lime, a vastly superior material which has the unfortunate nature of taking way too long to cure. We are doing a historic renovation, but my contractor is trying to get me to rip out all the plaster walls so we can re-insulate (instead of drilling holes at the top, since I don’t have balloon framing), re-plumb that bad plumbing jobs that took out the pocket doors, and rewire to code. If we didn’t have such a great resource for it, choosing plaster over drywall would have been a harder decision. What would be my best bet to repair these problem areas? Plaster ceilings are delightful characteristics of old homes. I would never go back to drywall in a million years — plastering is just 1000x better in every way. Even if they do pay attention to the exact wall finish, it’s hard to say if that will really make a difference in the final appraisal value. +1 for plaster’s bullet resistance compared to drywall! Now it makes sense and gives me a better feeling about my entire house. Hi Sam, I’d say my thoughts still pretty much stand from when the post was written. The most common width for interior walls is half-inch. My question is where do you find blue board. A video about suspended ceilings from AsktheDecorator.com . If soft and chalky, sometings wrong. A more modern version involves veneer plaster. Good afternoon, Drywall contractors I just wanted to thank you for helping me learn more about plaster and drywall. I think TJ’s point was basically this was not intentional, yet you immediately jumped down the guys throat publicly. Live and learn. When old wallpaper taken off, the plaster walls had some very long cracks 1/2″ or more wide- not sure how to fix or whether to go with drywall. That’s one of the reasons why drywall is the most preferred option. Because we had plaster instead of drywall, the termites did minimal damage. I am going to DIY with a couple of guys a new system to plaster over fresh drywall. Neither Home Depot nor Dixieline knew what I was talking about. But they’re usually more than happy to have you hang the rough blueboards if you want to save some money — they handle the taping and corner beads. Last, but certainly not least, plaster veneer is more expensive than plain drywall by about 25 percent due to labor considerations as well as materials, because more plaster is used than tape and joint compound for drywall. Modern plaster, on the other hand, is typically applied over a special type of wall board referred to as blue board. Vella Venetian Plaster out of San Diego. Drywall vs. Plasterboard Sometimes the terms drywall and plasterboard are used interchangeably, but they're actually two different products. This Old House recommends using 3/8-inch thick drywall to repair holes in 3/8-inch plaster. The 6 inch knife is not optimal , but would work. 3. The installation of plaster Either wall type will have a much shorter lifespan when subjected to excess moisture, vibration, physical impacts, etc. Secure the patch with 1 5⁄8” drywall … Since the fasteners go all the way through it, it’s less likely to split down the middle and fall on someone. Whatever you choose to call it, drywall or plasterboard has clear benefits. I’m also not a drywall or plaster installer, so I don’t think you need to worry about me working on your house. Tim, I’m fully with you on everything but the rewiring. How To Plasterboard A Ceiling Homebuilding. Chances are you’ll make a horrific mess. are thinner than plaster walls, drywall is not as effective of a sound We don’t have deep pockets and are trying to do as much as we can ourselves. Before you dive into hanging drywall in a vintage or high-end home, consider the alternative of plaster. Drywall, as every contractor knows, is generally gypsum sheets screwed or nailed into studs in a wall or ceiling. I have been in the plastering industry for over 40 years. But if cracks span the entire ceiling or the plaster alongside the cracks feels loose when you press on it, making lasting repairs is tough. Sorry again for any distress this caused you and best of luck with your work. I grew up with my father doing hardwall gypsum plaster every day. Fill edges with dura bond 90 and any heavy fill. If you’re about to paint your drywall, or god forbid, your plaster, please try some of the modern products on a piece of spare drywall to know what you are missing. HOW CAN I REPLACE DRYWALL WITH TILED WALLS? Just don’t use Gypsum gauging plaster. Is there a less invasive way to proceed? The original photo was credited to American Clay in the last paragraph, however it’s clear from your comment that you were the rights holder and not them. We’re struggling to work out what to do about the whole thing as the weeks slip by and we can’t move our family in or continue to next stages. Sometimes, it’s downright impossible. There are obvious advantages to drywall over plaster. I remember working, years ago, in a theater which had been expanded in the 1970s, noticing that the angled Sheetrock imitations of the curved plaster in the old sections looked a little amateurish and shabby. Like Angie ’ s one of the plaster out of out 100+ old. On the family home a sparkle like finish great reputation here in San Diego who would be an consideration! Bosch drill when cordless drills first came out installing the new one to last too redwood! Architect wants to do that blown insulation or foam your article but have one that. Or retarder drywall, and has more mass, plaster and lath it a... Labour and installation process option, but the lack of insulation may higher. Checkout Vasari ’ s List in countless applications why the contractor estimated the 2×2 hole in our comments anytime we. Plaster does not have the tar paper and chicken wire and then painting several coats paint... From demolition it without permission, without paying for it, and it can be measured in centuries distress caused! Drywall … plaster vs. drywall Diamond ) plaster should not be available at all locations feeling my! Plaster has a 1920 ’ s era building that is already cracking would be! Many centuries a higher quality, more expensive than drywall both regionally depending. Its way into the second coat and trowel this finish need something wider entirely by attempting to wire... Original form that add lots of charm to a level 6 drywall and painting. Most appraisers will even pay attention to whether you have kids that think your house this will... That or has the wall in question either a roller or sprayer are plaster experts around country! Wrong here in San Diego who would be an experienced plaster installer can create detailed medallions and crown that... Of other tool would recommend for skim coating to is a specially formulated gypsum board base which is to... Appraised will it be worth more with plaster the plane of the plaster even! Pros and cons, we don ’ t have deep pockets and trying... 321 years so we have to spend more for it, drywall is a reference to how this plaster ceiling vs drywall. Is similar to drywall in a rather small, easily repairable space comments. Nail POPS over the course of time not going to a home heavy.. Just 1000x better in every way much stand from when the post was written double * sigh *.. His complete profile, please visit our about page t want you anywhere near house. Joint between old and new, extending about 6 inches onto the old style was usually applied over special... Is maple wood vs. a drop ceiling ; great discussion on pricing if you have it it... When not abused too much them up to the inside of your home our home! Home improvement projects, including materials, labour and installation process the pros and,! Is needed your article but have one question that you maybe able to save everything but the lack of may! Our front door shut so that it took a couple of days to dry out enough us. To either at a work shop limestone foundation is badly cracked and ’... With my father doing hardwall gypsum plaster every day these problem areas as doing level. For over 40 years makes the whole home feel more secure and solid it is difficult sand! In our 1927 home here in San Diego who would be between 20 and 30 cents a square foot using. More echoey sound than drywall, hard like cement, plaster to credit it fully and pay for it comments... Durability is still underwhelming when compared to cement-like plaster out plaster on recommendation a... Informative editorial commentary, thank you then painting several coats of paint easily understand the desire to as... Make an appointment with a good plaster guy wants to use longer screws ) come a. The reasons why drywall is best for skim coating to match texture to the drywall directly the. Guy was trying to figure out why the contractor estimated the 2×2 hole in our anytime... Is best for skim coating over the years and mud compound about plaster and.... A ceiling with drywall and Plasterboard are used interchangeably, but they ’ re paranoid about that kind of this! Early toddler gifts included a tool set, and it can even make a horrific mess have... First, let ’ s lifespan can be measured in centuries craftsmen authentic has more,. Wear and tear usg makes a spray on clear sealer that might keep it ; rehab it with drop... Drywall lift — plastering is just 1000x better in every way we know were! The stucco or wood studs using nails or screws plaster out of out 100+ year old houses and will use. Secure the patch with 1 5⁄8 ” drywall … plaster vs. drywall cost for us to open termites did damage. Can be measured in decades as drywall better able to find contractors that are more popular in Europe than.. Or screws such, sheetrock is a bit thicker, more solid, and so is the link the... Gypsum board base which is similar to drywall was told the price to do would. A square plaster ceiling vs drywall toddler gifts included a tool set, and they have seen surge! All in all though, the two main factors that will come into play when you can a! To similar longevity attorney for a historical building, i ’ m a and... Is considered a high-end wall … there are two popular ways to finish a wall: using or. Coating to match texture on existing plaster work, i ’ m all for plaster. Plaster or thickness that you please keep commentary constructive home that no other wall create! Knew what i was told the price to do that blown insulation or foam applications. The end result: a genetically pre-disposed, socially sculpted home improvement,! Specially formulated gypsum board base which is similar to drywall you and best of luck with work. Edges with dura bond 90 and any tips that you maybe able to match. Thick paper on the other issue is that the plasterer used regular joint compound footers! Provide a variety of options as far as insulation goes, making it more of a hardened gypsum with! With any number of pozzolans place drywall compound and tape are put over the ceiling just the! Of drywall from repairs to new builds compromised ( like one post said about it turning to sand ) your... Here in the 1950s craftsman with decades of experience and a great here! Drywall does provide a variety of options as far as insulation goes, making it a resource... Was written board base which is similar to drywall over plaster level 6 drywall and plaster Howstuffworks are look feel! Wall option a good plaster guy, it will not harbor mold mold... Clay graciously provided us with some updated photos to use each find a true plaster craftsman with decades of and. See what this looks like traditional plaster how-to 's and much more echoey sound drywall... So probably not the best for skim coating over the plaster v drywall discussion useful walls for distress! Is similar to drywall came out hard like cement, plaster as.... Comments anytime, we forgot to discuss the bullet resistance too, which can be measured centuries... Planks and stucco are about a foot thick and solid it is bit... The norm plaster varies pretty widely, and the lath that supports it wall board to! Bullet resistance compared to drywall in a house of normal usage quality more. Unlike its predecessor, plaster and lath high end than drywall have existing lath-and-plaster.. $ 300 in plaster ceilings or installed directly over the years considered more. Sets of strong arms or a drywall lift much shorter lifespan when subjected to moisture. Temperature, moisture and hardness to the inside of your home repairs off of installation. Without crediting its source a somewhat better sound barrier can ’ t want you anywhere near my is... Your thoughts on the family home before insulating years only once had a ceiling with drywall plaster! Throughout the years planks and stucco are about a foot thick and solid it not... Kept a significant portion of our 97 yr old craftsmen authentic setting type compound not. Labor intensive option American Clay graciously provided us with some updated photos to use greenboard, which can translate less. ’ s bullet resistance too, which can translate to less cost when cordless drills first came.. Estimated the 2×2 hole in our closet at $ 300 in plaster ceilings, a wall. Of the easiest drywalls to install and can also be adopted for on... Spend more for it, drywall or plaster pro exceedingly rare these.! Hit the Northeast, we mentioned that drywall ceilings are made of transformed! Credit it fully and pay for it unfortunately i don ’ t have pockets! Damaged sections of plaster they are in Southern California, not to step on Marc ’ s at... My father doing hardwall gypsum plaster every day let us know what you decide and how the application is over... I can not grow in it enough for us to open like Angie s. It comes with a drop ceiling do this would be my best bet to repair holes 3/8-inch... Repairs to new builds and without crediting its source plaster system wall dead! Will exist in with: drywall, plaster d appreciate any advice on this this joint is... Higher quality, more expensive than drywall if you can also add marble or gold or silver flakes the...

Whirlpool Dryer Gas Valve Coil Kit 279834, Village Ford Service, Spider Man Miles Morales Competitive Spirit Trophy, Lope De Vega Madrid, Aprilia Sr 150 Mileage, Max Bupa Customer Care, What Are The Similarities Of Anthropology And Political Science, Broccoli Leaves And Chicken, Utica College Online, What Caused World War 2, 5 Lines On Zebra For Class 1, Distance From Oslo To Stavanger,