Withings Body Cardio Scale Manual, Denali Weather October, Docker Vs Openshift Vs Kubernetes, Nokomis Inc Reviews, The Intolerable Acts Timeline, Tichu Card Game, Beats Studio 3 Driver Windows 10, Is Coriander Juice Good For Eyes, Superman Symbol Text, Classical Vs Jazz Piano, Lindsay Davenport Grand Slams, How To Install Sandwich Package In R, Is Mercerized Cotton Safe For Babies, Largest Fish In Uk, " /> Withings Body Cardio Scale Manual, Denali Weather October, Docker Vs Openshift Vs Kubernetes, Nokomis Inc Reviews, The Intolerable Acts Timeline, Tichu Card Game, Beats Studio 3 Driver Windows 10, Is Coriander Juice Good For Eyes, Superman Symbol Text, Classical Vs Jazz Piano, Lindsay Davenport Grand Slams, How To Install Sandwich Package In R, Is Mercerized Cotton Safe For Babies, Largest Fish In Uk, ">

1 samuel 30:6

The effort by which this assurance is attained and sustained. "Commentary on 1 Samuel 30:6". No. For the possession is reciprocal; we say, “My God,” and He says, “My people.” Unless we yield ourselves to Him and say, “I am Thine,” we shall never be able to say, “Thou art mine.” We must recognise His possession of us; we must yield ourselves; we must obey; we must elect Him as our chief good, we must feel that we are not our own, but bought with a price. This is its characteristic feature. The Lord his God was the sufficient portion for this man when he stood a homeless pauper. Then he would go over all the past deliverances which he had experienced. We have seen more stupendous displays of God’s power—, [David had read of the wonders wrought in Egypt and the wilderness: but what were these wonders when compared with the victories gained over all the passions and prejudices of the world by the preaching of a few poor fishermen? The sufficiency of this one conviction and assurance. The man who contents himself with the generality of a Gospel for the world, and who can say no more than that Jesus Christ died for all, has yet to learn the most intimate sweetness, and the most quickening and transforming power, of that Gospel, and he only learns it when he says, “Who loved me, and gave himself for me.”. When he came there it was a heap of smoking ruins. At this time in his life, David was living in Ziklag . I would not go the length of saying that the living realisation, in heart and mind, of this personal possession of God is the difference between a traditional and vague profession of religion and a vital possession of religion, but if it is not the difference, it goes a long way towards explaining the difference. Now let us look at the difficult circumstances under which David did what is here ascribed to him. 1 Samuel 30:6. Perhaps some of you are in distress in the same way: you have chosen your own path, and now you are caught in the tangled bushes which tear your flesh. they be almost ready to stone me. (Calmet) --- David, without being too much dejected, sought out for an immediate remedy, and led them on to battle. Browse Sermons on 1 Samuel 30:6-8. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/whe/1-samuel-30.html. "Commentary on 1 Samuel 30:6". It is the duty of all good men, whatever happens, to encourage themselves in the Lord their God, assuring themselves that he both can and will bring light out of darkness. It is the duty of all good men, whatever happens, to encourage themselves in the Lord their God, assuring themselves, that he both can and will bring light out of darkness. Is not this David? shall I overtake?”, 2. If a man will not think about Christian truth he will not have the blessedness of Christian possession of God. We sometimes think that soldiers have not hearts, but we cannot read this chapter and think so. Wonderful have been the ways in which he has dealt with us for the awakening, preserving, and sanctifying of our souls. We are not told so, but there must have been a voice there which said, “All this is my own doing. The Targum is,"he strengthened himself in the Word of the Lord his God;'in Christ the Word of God, and in the power of his might, and in the grace that is in him, Ephesians 6:10. 2. BibliographyBenson, Joseph. ", Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers, Commentary Critical and Explanatory - Unabridged, Kretzmann's Popular Commentary of the Bible, Lange's Commentary on the Holy Scriptures. David encouraged himself in the Lord - He found he could place very little confidence in his men; and, as he was conscious that this evil had not happened either through his neglect or folly, he saw he might the more confidently expect succor from his Maker. Précédent. That effort may consist mainly in two things. II. He calls for the ephod, enquires of the Lord, obtains a favourable response, pursues the Amalekites, rescues the captives, inflicts a crushing blow upon the captors. 1599-1645. Now I am not putting too much into a little word when I insist upon it that the very essence and nerve of what strengthened the king, at that supreme moment of desolation, was the, conviction that welled up in his heart that, in spite of it all, he had a grip of God a hand as his very own, and God had hold of him, I would not go to the length of saying that the living realisation, in heart and mind, of this personal possession of God is the difference between a traditional sad vague profession of religion and a vital possession of religion, but if it is not the difference, it goes a long way towards explaining the difference. The reality of David’s faith. The language of its triumph then is the meek, “Thy will be done.” But faith is active, lively. What do these Hebrews here?” is the sarcastic question of the world. Finding the new version too difficult to understand? Easterns do not think it wrong to tell an untruth; many do it habitually. 1. David ‘strengthened himself in the Lord,’ and if he had not doggedly set about resisting the pressure of circumstances, and flinging himself as it were, by an effort, into the arms of God, circumstances would have been too strong for him, and despair would have shrouded his soul. In proportion therefore as God’s faithfulness has been tried and ascertained, our confidence in him must be increased. David was greatly distressed. 1 Samuel 30:6 Moreover David was greatly distressed because the people spoke of stoning him, for all the people were embittered, each one because of his sons and his daughters. 1871-8. 1 Samuel 30:6 Parallel Verses [⇓ See commentary ⇓] 1 Samuel 30:6, NIV: "David was greatly distressed because the men were talking of stoning him; each one was bitter in spirit because of his sons and daughters.But David found strength in the LORD his God." Get rid of sham faith, and really believe. Some of the things that he did in life were questionable at best. David encouraged himself in the Lord notwithstanding his sinfulness. That’s where we find David in 1 Samuel 30:6. But David encouraged himself in the Lord his God. And all the members of the Church, from its first establishment to the present moment, have found the promises of the Gospel fulfilled to them in their season! Teks -- 1 Samuel 30:6 (TB) Tampilkan Strong. The loss of their wives and children completely unmanned them. (A. Maclaren, D. D.). The only way to win them is to be occupied, far more than most of us are, with the plain truths of God’s revelation in Jesus Christ. 1999. Search using our Online Bible by Topic, Verse Reference or Phrase. As the chief cause of their calamity, by carrying them all after Achish to no purpose; whereby their city was exposed to the spoil of the enemy. Konteks. David encouraged himself in the Lord — Betook himself to prayer, and through the ephod of the priest, as narrated in the following verses, received counsel and promise from Jehovah. The Amalekites had attacked part of the south of Judah's land. On the one hand is piled up a black heap of calamities, loss, treachery, and peril; and opposed to them is only that one clause: “But David encouraged himself in the Lord his God.” God is enough: whatever else may go. David encouraged himself in the Lord his God! David’s faith gave shape and force to his action. "6 Moreover David was greatly distressed because the people spoke of stoning him, for all the people were embittered, each one because of his sons and his daughters” (1 Samuel 30:6a). Psalm 18:6 In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears. He enquires, “Shall I pursue? Picture the position of David, in the centre of his band. BibliographyClarke, Adam. I. He had found refuge in a little city of the Philistines, far down in the South, from which he and his men had marched as a contingent in the Philistine army, which was preparing an attack upon Saul. It must have been in some such moment as this that he first felt, if not said, “I know, O Lord, that Thy judgments are right, and that Their in faithfulness has afflicted me.” (C. Bradley, M. Genesis 32:7 Then Jacob was greatly afraid and distressed: and he divided the people that was with him, and the flocks, and herds, and the camels, into two bands; Psalm 25:17 The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses. 4 Then David and the people that were with him lifted up their voice and wept, until they had no more power to weep. 1. a. There is no mystery about the road to the sweetness and holiness and power that may belong to a Christian. 1 Thessaloniciens 2 Thessaloniciens 1 Timothée 2 Timothée Tite. The first step towards real comfort in real sorrow is to feel it must come from God, and the next is to raise up our minds to God; to get them above the things which are distressing us. Everything else was gone; his property was carried off by raiders, his home was smouldering embers. 1828. ‘My atmosphere’-will one man claim the free, unappropriated winds of heaven as his? (6) For the people spake of stoning him.—Probably the discontent and anger of the people had been previously aroused by David’s close connection with Achish, which had entailed upon these valiant Israelites the bitter degradation of having had to march against their own countrymen under the banner of the Philistine King of Gath; and now, finding that David had neglected to provide against the Amalekite raid, their pent-up fury thus displayed itself. "The Adam Clarke Commentary". This is what happened now to David at Ziklag, while about the same time Saul, alone and distrustful, fought and fell on the bloody day of Gilboa. In the Lord his God, i.e. The ungodly, when the cisterns from whence they draw their water are broken or emptied, have no comfort left: but when every stream is dried up, the godly have still access to the Fountain itself. Believe also in his Son Jesus. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/mpc/1-samuel-30.html. God will give it, but he will not give it unless the man strains after it. His turbulent followers rose against him, a mutiny broke out-a dangerous thing amongst such a crew-and they were ready to stone him. Copyright StatementThe New John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible Modernised and adapted for the computer by Larry Pierce of Online Bible. For notwithstanding all David's unworthiness and undeservings, God was still his God in covenant. But David encouraged himself in the Lord his God.] BibliographyWhedon, Daniel. But, naturally, the Philistine soldiers doubted their ally, and he was obliged to take himself and his troops back again to their temporary home. Matthew Poole's English Annotations on the Holy Bible. ], We have beheld more astonishing exercises of his love—, [The history of the Jews records many instances of God’s love towards them: but what were these when compared with the gift of his dear Son to die for us, and of his Holy Spirit to renew us? If we never think, or think languidly and rarely, about what God has revealed to us by the Word and life and death and intercession of Jesus Christ, concerning Himself, His heart of love towards us, and His relations to us, then we shall not have, either in the time of disaster or of joy, the blessed sense that He is indeed ours if a man will not think about Christian truth he will not have the blessedness of Christian possession of God. 1 Samuel 30:6 NKJV. If you can never think about them they cannot affect you, and they will not make you sure that God is yours. "Commentary on 1 Samuel 30:6". 1871-8. David went to fight for the Philistine with his men, but after some time the Philistine commanders, knowing that he was an officer of Saul and fearing him for that, sent him home. "Commentary on 1 Samuel 30:6". It is not by accident, nor if it a mere piece of tautology, that we read “the Lord his God.” For, if you will remember, the very keynote of the psalms which are ascribed to David is just that expression, “My God,” “My God.” So far as the very fragmentary records of Jewish literature go, it would appear as if David was the very first of all the ancient singers to grapple that thought that he stood in a personal, individual relation to God, and God to him. In the darkest moment it is possible for a man to surround himself with God’s light, but even in the brightest it is not possible to do so unless he makes a serious effort. And the glory of the LORD appeared in the tabernacle of the congregation before all the children of Israel. He was standing on the edge of possible death, for his followers were ready to stone him. He ‘strengthened himself in the Lord his God.’ The Hebrew conveys the notion of effort, persistent and continuous; and it tells us this, that when things are as black as they were round David at that hour-it is not a matter of course, even for a good man, that there shall well up in his heart this tranquillising and victorious conviction; but he has to set himself to reach and to keep it. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/ebc/1-samuel-30.html. i. God’s promise was proved true. There will be changes in God's people, like the ebbings and flowings of the tide. 1 Samuel 30:6 - but David encouraged himself in the Lord his God. I know not what your views of this history are. But David strengthened himself in the LORD his God. Does he not, Himself say, “Let him lay hold on My strength?” I remember old Master Quarles has a strange picture of one trying to strike another with a flail, and how does the other escape? ], and wisely judged, that, with such a Friend on his side, he had no cause for fear [Note: 2 Corinthians 1:10.]. Joseph Benson's Commentary. "Whedon's Commentary on the Bible". The people spake of stoning him - David had done much to civilize those men; but we find by this of what an unruly and ferocious spirit they were; and yet they strongly felt the ties of natural affection, they "grieved every man for his sons and for his daughters.". And then when we look up into the heavens thus submissive, thus obedient, thus owning His authority and His rights, as well as claiming His love and His tenderness, and cry: ‘My Father,’ He will bend down and whisper into our hearts: ‘Thou art My beloved son.’ Then we shall be ‘strong, and of a good courage,’ however weak and timid, and we shall be rich, though, like David, we have lost all things. Cling to Him by faith: hold fast by Him in hope. "Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible - Unabridged". But David found strength in the Lord his God. Inconstant people! 1. He is ours if we will but accept Him. But to Me, I confess, that I think the whole was so arranged and ordered by the Lord to bring back the heart of David again, (which I fear had for a long time been cold towards the God of his mercies), to a sense of his sin, and a longing to be restored once more to the Lord. He “strengthened himself in the Lord his God.” The Hebrew conveys the notion of effort, persistent and continuous; and it tells us this, that when things are as black as they were round David at that hour--it is not a matter of course, even for a good man, that there shall well up in his heart this tranquillising and victorious conviction; but he has to set himself to reach and to keep it. "Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible". He had long been a wandering outlaw, and had finally been driven, by Saul’s persistent hostility, to take refuge in the Philistines’ country. Why, he runs in and keeps close, and so he is not struck. I am reminded of a story in a fascinating book entitled Shantung Compound, written by Langdon Gilkey. It was not enough for him, in his time of need, to stay himself upon a vague universal goodness, but he had to clasp to his burdened heart the individualising thought, ‘the God of Israel is my God.’.

Withings Body Cardio Scale Manual, Denali Weather October, Docker Vs Openshift Vs Kubernetes, Nokomis Inc Reviews, The Intolerable Acts Timeline, Tichu Card Game, Beats Studio 3 Driver Windows 10, Is Coriander Juice Good For Eyes, Superman Symbol Text, Classical Vs Jazz Piano, Lindsay Davenport Grand Slams, How To Install Sandwich Package In R, Is Mercerized Cotton Safe For Babies, Largest Fish In Uk,